story map examples, Story mapping helps visualize the user’s journey through a product. Using a simple e-commerce website as an example, let’s break down the story map:
User Activities (Topmost Level): These are broad, high-level user actions.
- Explore website
- Product selection
- Purchase process
- Post-purchase activities
User Tasks (Middle Level): These are more specific tasks under each activity.
Under “Explore website”:
- View homepage
- Use search bar
- Navigate through categories
- Check offers and promotions
Under “Product selection”:
- View product details
- Read customer reviews
- Compare with similar products
- Add to wishlist
- Add to cart
Under “Purchase process”:
- Review cart
- Choose payment method
- Provide shipping details
- Confirm order
- Make payment
Under “Post-purchase activities”:
- Track shipment
- Receive notifications
- Write a product review
- Initiate a return or exchange
User Stories (Bottom Level): These are detailed stories associated with each task.
Under “Use search bar” task:
- As a user, I want to enter keywords to find products.
- As a user, I want to see search suggestions as I type.
- As a user, I want to filter search results by categories.
Under “View product details” task:
- As a user, I want to see high-resolution images of the product.
- As a user, I want to view product specifications.
- As a user, I want to see the availability status of the product.
- As a user, I want to view the price and any applicable discounts.
Under “Write a product review” in post-purchase:
- As a user, I want to rate the product on a 5-star scale.
- As a user, I want to write a detailed review of the product.
- As a user, I want to see my review published after moderation.
This example provides a structured view of an e-commerce website from a user’s perspective. The story map’s visual representation helps teams understand and prioritize features better, ensuring that the development remains user-centric. In practice, the granularity and complexity of the story map might vary based on the product’s nature and scope.
story map examples